Introduction to Resilience Self Advocates
What is Resilience?
Resilience can be explained in many different ways. It can also mean different things. Everyone has resilience!
When we talk about resilience, we are talking about staying calm and in control when faced with a challenge.
Why is Resilience Important?
Resilience is important because it gives people a way to understand trauma and get through tough times.
Being resilient means that you are strong enough to be able to:
- Get through tough times in healthy ways.
- Cope with difficult situations.
- Overcome setbacks or obstacles.
- Adapt well when you experience adversity, trauma, tragedy, threats, or stress.
People with less resilience may use unhealthy ways to overcome tough times.
How Can I Learn to Be Resilient?
- Resilience is a set of skills that anyone can learn.
- Some skills help us change our thoughts.
- Some skills help us make different choices.
- It takes time and practice to build resilience.